Following Tottenham’s recent match against Wolves, manager Ange Postecoglou shared his thoughts on the team’s performance, highlighting both the challenges faced and the positives to be taken. Here’s a breakdown of his post-match press conference:
1. Disappointment in the Game’s Outcome Ange began by expressing his disappointment, especially given the late turn of events in the game. “Disappointed obviously… particularly when it happens so late… it’s part of the pain of football,” he said, acknowledging the harsh realities of the sport.
2. Frustrations with the Team’s Performance When asked about his visible frustration during the game, Ange pointed out the need for more positivity and aggression, especially in the first half. “I just felt we could have been a little bit more positive… particularly with the ball,” he explained, tempering his critique with the understanding that the numerous changes in the lineup affected the team’s fluency.
3. The Impact of Key Player Absences Ange acknowledged the effect of missing key players on the team’s performance. “All the absences have an effect on the team… we’ve lost almost four or five starters in one game,” he said, highlighting the challenge of replacing multiple key players simultaneously.
4. Praise for Ben Davis and Eric Dier He praised Ben Davis and Eric Dier for their performances, despite limited game time this season. “Their commitment… their Endeavor to play was there for the whole game,” he noted, appreciating their effort and resilience.
5. The Team’s Endurance and Wolves’ Late Surge Ange commented on the team’s endurance and Wolves’ late-game surge. “I think we probably ran out of a bit of steam… wolves, particularly with the crowd behind them, were able to lift at the end,” he observed, recognizing the impact of the home crowd on Wolves’ performance.
6. Approach to Quick Free Kicks and Turnovers Responding to a question about quick free kicks and turnovers, Ange maintained his support for the team’s style of play. “It’s just part of our football… that wasn’t the stuff that frustrated me,” he said, affirming his commitment to the team’s playing philosophy.
7. Drawing Positives from the Match Despite the outcome, Ange found positives in the team’s character and commitment. “There’s a massive effort going on out there… they’ll be better for the experience,” he stated, focusing on the long-term benefits of such challenging matches.
8. Brennan Johnson’s First Goal and Future Potential Finally, Ange expressed hope that Brennan Johnson’s first goal would boost his confidence. “There’s definitely goals in him… he’s one of the ones I think could have been a little bit more positive for us,” he said, seeing potential for more goal-scoring contributions from Johnson in the future.
In conclusion, Ange Postecoglou’s reflections after the Wolves match were a blend of disappointment and optimism. While acknowledging the challenges and frustrations, he also pointed out the positives and potential growth opportunities for the team and individual players. As Tottenham moves forward, Ange’s balanced perspective will be key in navigating the ups and downs of the season.